Employment Opportunities, China
Construction Specialist (Shanghai):
Representing the Canadian forest industry in China, the Canada Wood Group (CWG) in partnership with FII China has been instrumental in the successful first phase of the strategy to introduce wood frame construction to the Chinese market and significantly increase the volume of lumber exported. CWG and FII China will be entering the next phase of their China Strategy to build on opportunities that will further increase the value of the wood that is exported.
Key to the success of CWG and FII China going forward will be their collective ability to collaborate and work in unison as the China Enterprise, to implement a strategic plan that aligns Canada’s forest industry objectives, targets, and strengths with Chinese government policy and commercial activity.
Purpose of Position:
As part of the Wood in Construction team, the Construction Specialist provides best practices training and quality support (QS) to builders, contractors and others working within the wood construction industry.
The Construction Specialist works closely with the Wood in Construction team to support commercial activities that help increase the value of the wood in construction in accordance with the strategic plan. Experienced in building with wood, the Construction Specialist supports training and quality support (QS) projects, creating project schedules and work plans, supervising partners and sub-contractors and writing and filing reports. Also provides support as needed in the development of technical literature and other tech transfer tools.
Construction Expertise, Project Management & Quality Standards:
- Provides support to China Enterprise’s training and quality support initiatives through training, advice, supervision and other technical support activities to builders, contractors and others building with wood;
- Works within a team environment to collaborate and assist in estimating and sourcing materials, creating project schedules and work plans, supervising partners and sub-contractors and writing and filing reports;
- Works close coupled with members of the Technical Support Team to develop and implement practical solutions on supported projects;
- Provides technical expertise and support to facilitate the transfer of technical information and QS recommendations to priority stakeholders in China’s wood construction industry;
- Stays up to date on new technologies and innovations in construction, QS and building design;
- Participates in meetings, maintains frequent communications and follows up with other department teams and partners for integrated planning;
- Participates in the use of the Customer Relationship Management System (CRMS) so as to maintain a current and effective client database for the China Enterprise;
- Assists team members on market research or commercial projects as required.
Education and Experience:
- A certificate or certified technical training or equivalent combination of study and work experience;
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience building with wood and managing projects;
- Experience supervising and training workers on WF construction;
- Experience providing translation an asset;
- Significant experience with WFC in commercialization projects.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of modern WFC and materials, innovative building systems, and property development and/or target construction segments;
- Strong understanding & existing network of business contacts & relationships in the construction sector;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, displaying diplomacy, leadership and professionalism;
- Strong ability for attention to detail;
- Good understanding of and experience dealing with foreign enterprises in China;
- Excellent language skills in English both written and oral, Mandarin language skills an asset;
- Strong project management knowledge, planning, coordinating and organizational skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively with others to ensure objectives and metrics are met;
- Able to prioritize own workload and take initiative, while contributing as a valuable team member;
- Travel will be required.
- Business Acumen
Understands the business implications of decisions and the ability to strive to improve organizational performance. Requires an awareness of business issues, processes and outcomes as they impact the stakeholder’s and the organization’s business needs
- Effective Communications
Communicates well while possessing active-listening skills, being able to facilitate interactive discussion and maintain positive interpersonal relations
- Impact and Influence
Ability to influence, persuade or convince others to adopt a specific course of action. Involves the use of persuasive techniques, presentations or negotiation skills to achieve desired results
Identifying a problem, obstacle or opportunity and taking timely and appropriate action
- Personal Conduct
Conducts self and work with uncompromising integrity and loyalty appropriate to the position
- Planning, Organizing, Coordinating
Proactively plans at a high level, establishes priorities and allocates resources appropriately, monitors and adjusts work to accomplish goals
- Problem Solving and Decision-Making
Ability to analyze and define a problem, evaluate alternatives, find a solution, understand how and when to make a choice
- Results Focus
Knows what outcomes are required and focuses self and those being managed on delivering the results
- Teamwork Skills
Works well as a member of a multicultural, inter-disciplinary team as well as being able to develop a high performance business unit team
- Time Management
Ability to manage competing priorities effectively, to be resourceful and to use time as a resource to make up or extend
If this challenge intrigues you and you feel that you have the credentials and attitude to succeed in the fast paced Chinese construction market, please send a resume and cover letter explaining why you have what it takes to email@example.com