China releases new national standard for timber structure design
China has released a new design code for timber structure, which encourages industry to expand the use of wood and improve the grading system of wood strength.
The new standard, which numbered as GB50005-2017, will come into effect on August 1 this year, according to the Ministry of Housing and Urban and Rural construction.
Item 3.1.3、3.1.12、4.1.6、4.1.14、4.3.4、4.3.6、7.4.11、7.7.1、11.2.9 in the new standard is compulsory and should be strictly implemented into practice, according to the ministry.
The new version has highlighted contents about the grading system of wood strength and its design specifications. It also pledges to improve the design criteria for glued timber structure and light wood structure.
Here below is key points the new version has amended:
- To increase the use of domestic wood species and imported wood species；
- To conduct research and confirm on the design value of imported wood products；
- Make additional design requirements on structure composite materials and engineered wood products；
- To carry out comprehensive research and unify the calculation requirement of wood structure components and connectors；
- Improve the design criteria for glued timber structure and light wood structure；
- Improve the regulation on seismic design and structure requirement；
- Coordinate、improve requirements on fire-protection design and structure requirements；
- Improve requirements on durability design and structure requirements;